Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Advice 4. Know yourself~

My fourth advice is knowing yourself. Namely, we have to know our current level of English proficiency. How fewer amount of vocabulary do we know? Because my field is TESOL, I think I am pretty good at academic vocabulary in the TESOL field. Unfortunately, I am so dumb in other fields. So, what I want to say is that we have to build up the knowledge of L2 vocabulary by reading newspaper, magazines, novels, and any other hands-on materials you can easily reach out right now!
One more thing, as soon as you look up a word in your English-English dictionary, do not go to other word to look up. Just have one or two second to internalize the definition of the word by putting it on your own image. It will work when you have difficulty memorizing words. Internalize the meaning of words by using your own code! And then you have to decode them again!! Good luck~

1 comment:

  1. Well, I gotta tell you, I am really bad at memorizing vocabulary. If I learn some word from outside the reading materials, then I remember very quickly and hardly forget. It is so hard to build on academic vocabulary, and my persistence won't allow me to look up the English-English dictionary. So, those words don't stick to my head usually after I look them up on translated dictionary. But I gotta try...

    ReplyDelete