Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Advice 3 Stick to your English-English dictionary!

This is my third post.
As you can see, my third suggention is to use English-English dictionary, not your bilingual dictionary. One thing we have to keep in mind is that it is impossible to translate your L1 to L2 or your L2 to L1 with exactly the same meaning. Therefore, even though your bilingual dictionary publisher wanted to be, there are some gaps that cannot be covered with your L1 or L2. What do we have to do, now? We have to have a habbit to use a English-English dictionary. Are you ready for carrying your dictionary, now? Let's do it!!

2 comments:

  1. You have a very good point!
    When I first came to this country, I also tried to use English-English dictionary as my brother suggested. However, I found myself feeling kind of lost when I did not look up the Korean dictionary. I felt like "Ah-ha" after Korean dictionary but English-English dictionary made me feel "um..." But I agree with you that it really helps; it just takes time to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I think that the L2 really starts to improve when steps like this are taken: using English-English dictionaries, forcing yourself to think to yourself in the L2 instead of translate, etc. The more you start doing this stuff the more the L2 will feel natural.

    ReplyDelete