Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Advice 2 Don't judge your second language level with your first language proficiency

Hello, everyone out there.
Are you trying to have the English mind that I mentioned for the first advice? I know, I know, it is very difficult to have it in a day. That advice is also what I have been trying to have.

As you can see above, my second advice is that we must not judge your second language level with your first language proficiency. With your very sophisticated L1 level, a large number of L2 learners make themselves a fool. No matter what your L2 level is, please be proud of yourself.

See you later,

4 comments:

  1. That's a good piece of advice, Jenin. When I learned my L2, Spanish (which I continue to learn every day--- with each new day I realize how much I DON'T know), I got very hard on myself about trying to speak perfectly. (I was judging it against English, my L1). Now I have come to accept I will never speak Spanish as well as I speak English. And the more I accept that and feel proud and grateful for my abilities in Spanish, the better I speak it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wish myself can speak English fluently as native English speakers. But I know,it is impossibile for me to be sound like native English speakers. You are right, Jenin. I should not judge my English level with my L1 proficiency. But I still have to learn English and impove my English abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont really understand your advice, but I think that people can only be perfectly fluent in 1 langauge. It's hard enough to be fluent in English. I still make many mistakes in all 3 langauges. I can't help it, I really don't feel the need to speak 100% Hollywood English. My spanish is good, but it's not like my English. That's my best language but I do like Spanish better. I connect with people more if they speak spanish than English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I wanted to say is that we sometimes evaluate our L2 level with the proficiency of our L1.
    You are right. We make mistakes even when we speak our L1. Therefore, I want to say we have to be patient and then try to do our best in terms of learning L2.

    ReplyDelete